So some of you have probably heard from me about my enthusiasm for the way our family studies the scriptures with our very young children (5, 3, 1). I’m so excited that I’m in the process of writing a little ebook curriculum with our reading schedules in it.
The problem I have in writing this book is that I don’t know much about the experience of other families in studying the scriptures with young children. So I’m calling upon all the Mormons I know to do a little informal research study for me. If you currently have (or had in the past) young children (say, under age 6), could you answer these questions for me in the comments? (Or via email if you’d rather be private.)
- When did you start reading the scriptures with you first child? When did you require subsequent children to be present at family scripture study?
- What did you read for scripture study with young children? Did you use the LDS Scripture Stories manuals? The actual scriptures? Other scripture story books?
- Did you do any other studying activities (ie memorizing, journaling, etc.) on a regular basis?
- How consistent were/are you at reading with your children? What barriers exist to being more consistent?
- Any other comments, questions, problems related to studying scriptures with young children would be awesome.
Thanks in advance for your input on my quirky little project.